On Air Now Neil Cowie 4:00pm - 7:00pm Email
Now Playing Feels Like I'm Falling In Love Coldplay Download

Man admits causing serious bodily harm by driving without due care and attention

Thursday, 10 August 2023 09:00

By Court Reporter - Jason Roberts

A driver who ran over a woman as she pushed her baby in a pram will be sentenced in August.

David Ronald Atherton of Kiondroghad Road in Andreas appeared before Deputy High Bailiff Rachael Braidwood at Douglas Courthouse.

The 27 year old admitted causing serious bodily harm by driving without due care and attention on Johnny Watterson's Lane in Douglas on June 15.

Prosecutor Rebecca Cubbon told the court Atherton had been in a Toyota Invincible towing a trailer loaded with another car for his employer, Northern Fuels, when one of his tyres clipped a kerb at 11.30am.

He mounted the pavement and hit the woman, smashing her pram but leaving the baby miraculously unhurt.

Later, he told police he hadn't known he'd hit the woman until he stopped his vehicle - she spent 16 days in hospital after suffering injuries which included a broken pelvis.

He was bailed in the sum of £500 and will be sentenced on August 22.

More from Isle of Man News

Recently Played

Listen Live Listen